Thursday, May 6, 2010

I am in love with Pondicherry!

I've been reading a lot more than usual and may be that is why it wasn't until yesterday evening that I decided to do a little more than my usual work. ‘Blogging can be intriguing’- I thought. When I decided to venture into blogging, I asked myself if I have a plan. I realized that I actually have some plans. The first thing that came to my mind was writing something about the place I live in – Pondicherry!

Pondicherry/Puducherry as it is called now, has always been a fascinating place for me and my hubby Dhanesh, ever since we visited this lovely place, way back in 2003! Then, we used to live in Tiruvannamalai, a highly spiritual temple town, which is almost a two-hour drive from Pondy. Finally, we decided to move to Pondy after six long years and now we have almost settled here! Pondicherry is a place which I have always wished to live in and I am happy that my dream turned true! Unlike many other places, there is a special charm about this place which makes you feel cling to it!

I am a native to Aluva, a small town by the Periyar. A trip down the river and its silken-smooth sand-banks will be one of the most memorable experiences in one’s life. From the banks of Periyar to the shores of Bay of Bengal, it has really been a long walk! A long walk that made it possible to enjoy the beauty of little things of Aluva and the magnificence of Pondicherry!

Pondicherry is a unique union territory which covers just a land area of 492 SqKm. It is one of the most beautiful and peaceful cities which I have been to. It is rightly called ‘Quintessence of French Culture’, ‘India’s Little France’ and ‘The French Riviera of the East’. You can still see the French flavor in it, like the grand colonial mansions, beautiful boulevards, and placid promenades, spellings on sign boards and buildings, names of roads and public places.


The White Town is a well planned and well built town. You can see for yourself how the French gave importance to order and flair. It is on their craft and grand architecture that they constructed the oval shaped, lovely ‘boulevard town’ – the French Quarter. A boulevard encircled the town and a canal, divided it into two sections- one the Tamil side called as Ville Noire or the black town and the other, a European side which was known as Ville Blanche or the white town. The Ville Blanche or White town is a typical Medieval French township with fine built monuments, government buildings, royal mansions, well-designed churches and lush green parks.

If you love beaches, then Pondicherry is the best place for you. During our first visit, it was this beach which we loved the most. A stroll along the beach in the morning is sure to refresh your spirits! Serenity Beach as it is called, can offer you relaxing moments. The soothing and cool waters, soft breeze, clear and sparkling sands and superb seclusion, with all these, it’s a real paradise here. You can spot seagulls and sandpipers here. The beaches in Pondicherry offer a calm and peaceful atmosphere, and are perfect locations for sunbathing or a quick dip in the Bay of Bengal!


The Beach near the French Town, is a 1.5km long, rocky shoreline. It is said that some of the bloodiest Anglo-French battles were fought here. But now, this beach is perfect for a calm stroll. Or if you are a person who love sea gazing, you can sit on the rocks by the sea and gaze out at the rolling waves for hours. You can see the catamarans of the fishermen at work, and enjoy the sea spraying at you! It truly refreshes you!

I guess, this is just a very small description of Pondy. There are more things to know and much more for me to pen!

7 comments:

  1. welcome to blogging world..nice reading about pondicheri.
    Aluva is one of our favorite place..Aluva siva temple ..love the place..if u don't mind add some pictures of the places..
    I am the first follower..thats cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ur description abt pondicherry is quitely superb...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had saw ur postings as on today only...

      Delete
  4. Well described.. I belongs to Allapuzha the land of Backwaters but now settled in pondy and for me it's a lovely calm place to live...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well described.. I belongs to Allapuzha the land of Backwaters but now settled in pondy and for me it's a lovely calm place to live...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely description about Pondicherry Mam. Moreover every vacation we used to visit Aluva Paravur & Cherthala. So i feel like connecting myself to the memory lanes that i went through!

    ReplyDelete