Saturday, October 9, 2010

Adorable Swami!

Now............................................Then


"Ta na na tna na na naaaaaa, Ta na na tna nana naaa"…….. Most ppl in my generation would never forget this tune! Yup, I am talking about “Malgudi Days” which used to be aired on DD, some 20 years ago! 

Recently, I watched an interview with Manjunath, the boy who played the role of Swami, in Malgudi Days! From then on, I was planning to make a post on Swami! The reasons for my love for Swami are many! His simplicity, the way he tackles each difficult situation, his lame excuses and so on! Even his dress – his dhoti and the round cap! 

R.K.Narayan – Two things that strike me when I hear this name are Malgudi Days and Swami and Friends! I never used to miss a single episode, even on the re-runs! Narayan is a true literary genius. His style of writing is so simple, and of course, the choice of words is so meticulous and settings are soooo common. And most of all, the fictional town of Malgudi seems so real to me! Even now, I believe there is such a town somewhere and that Swami still lives there!!!!!!!!!!!! Such is the impression etched indelibly on my mind by R.K Narayan's fictional character. 

This year, I have taught two stories by Narayan – The Hero and An Astrologer’s Day! It was so much fun teaching “The Hero” to the 8th graders, Astrologer’s Day is a bit of a serious tone though!

I am literally laughing now, as I got reminded of the expressions of my 8th graders, on reaching the climax of Hero!!!!!

Anyways, I am happy that my resolution of being regular on blog is at least done this week!

Have a gr8 Sunday !

1 comment:

  1. yes miss it was a gr8 experience in class
    i had read it before bcs i have a book of it but the class experince was too good to be true even i used to watch it with my grandmom on POGO but and they were truly good

    ReplyDelete