Tuesday, August 28, 2012

An Ode to "Paras"...

If you are a Mallu, I guess I don’t have to explain what a ‘para’ means! I am sure most of you would have a smile (sarcastic/mysterious/weird) on your face, right now!!!!!!! Yes, I am talking about one of the most common words in Malayalam -‘para’. Not sure, who coined it, but trust me, there cannot be a better word!!!!!!! 

I happened to analyse this word today – thanks to a very interesting caricature show by Jayaraj Warrier, which I had watched recently. He opened his show with a very interesting intro about how our “God’s Own Country” came into existence. The story is known to all mallus – Parasurama, the warrior-sage threw his favourite weapon the axe, from Kanyakumari to the northern direction. To show his reverence, Varuna , the Sea God receded to the spot and this land, later came to be known as 'Kerala', a land which is free from all human vices. 



Warrier’s version of this story is the same, but the addition he made is really hilarious. He says, “Parasurama used an axe made of iron, and later mallus used a part of the iron left to make “para!” For those who are wondering what a para is, let me explain. The literal meaning of this word is “a hand tool with one side of its head forged and sharpened to a cutting edge, used for felling trees,”, but now, for mallus, it is the nickname for troublemakers. These kinda people can be annoying, and bothersome. Though they are not really successful with their task, they can create ripples of disturbance in us. According to Warrier, only mallus possess this trait, but I feel they are found every nook and corner of the world. 

When I put my mind into the action-replay mode, I hear the long conversation I had with a good old friend of mine, about this topic. I guess, it was after this episode that I changed my attitude towards “paras”. I have also modified my way of dealing with these kinda people . My friend is in software industry, where he has to deal with a lot of them. His philosophy is amazing! He says, “Without them, my life would be very dull. They make my work interesting and challenging. They give me the much-needed enthusiasm.”Attitude!!!!!!!! That’s what I should call it! 

These‘paras’ used to get on my nerves earlier, but now, whenever I need to deal with paras, I borrow his attitude and believe me, I have found it absolutely TRUE. So the moral of the story is “Let there be more and more of them, let’s have fun dealing with them!!!!!!!” 

They are interesting – Paras! Thanks for being there!!!!!!!!!! 

21 comments:

  1. Gr8 post indeed! Haapy Onam Miss in Advance! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Paras paras n paras everywhere" malllus life is filled with such paras ! .Even i used to get irritated with 'paras' . but after reading this post i also believe that ' paras' have played a huge role in makingour lives more n more interesting and awesome.

    hereon i'm going to use the some part of your friend's strategy to deal with those pple!!

    as u said without 'paras' sure life would b so dull . so lets have more and more of them n thus have an interesting life ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ammals, I pray, there are many of them after you! Happy times will have to be enjoyed!

      Delete
  3. heheheh! :D nyc post :) loved reading it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol...., Sunie.., nice post indeed..!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha ha ha ha......... Even I'm going to change my "attitude" towards the great PARAS!!!! Ha ha ha.. Its really an ONAM treat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW!! It is a wonderful Post!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chechi...kidilan, actually your friend said it right, its the best strategy for these PARAS....let everyone change their ATTITUDE towards these paras :D...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, best strategy... u remember him, rt? Ajit!

      Delete
  8. Anonymous12:27 PM

    wow!! had gud tym reading it, sunie chechi!! :D ;)!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chechi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Anonymous4:14 PM

      yup! ma elder one!! :D

      Delete
    3. Anonymous4:15 PM

      yup! ma elder one!! :D

      Delete
  9. definitely chechi dere cnt b a bttr wrd 4 para :)
    even though 4 mst of us para=pranks also!!!! so i guess every1 has got n did para 2 othrs sumtim or d othr in their lif!!!!! n sure enough widout dese paras lif would b B&W.....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Seetha9:15 PM

    Paras Paras every where u go...πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ˜…πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£i still can't stop laughing!!! As u said Paras really mk our lives more active and interesting πŸ‘πŸ₯³πŸ₯³πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜ŽπŸ˜Ž

    ReplyDelete
  11. Seetha9:22 PM

    Paras Paras every where...πŸ˜…πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£ can't control my laughter Sunitha ma'am πŸ˜…πŸ€£πŸ€£they even mk our lives more active and interesting too...!!πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜…πŸ˜†πŸ€£

    ReplyDelete