Thursday, January 30, 2014

Irony....

Holmes was one such for me!!! 

Of late, Eliza Doolittle and Prof.Higgins too!

Hey! What’s common? Though fictional characters, quite often, I take them real! 

Okie! What makes me come here today??? Is it the pretty Eliza? Is it the highly egoistic, chronic bachelor Prof.Higgins? 

Nope! Then what? Their words!

This week, I was completely into a movie, “My Fair Lady” with the higher graders. Though it is the umpteenth time I am watching it, I observe that I enjoy it every time I watch it with the kids! Audery Hepburn and Rex Harrison are living, not acting as Eliza and Prof.Higgins! I don’t intend to make a movie review here; that is for my students.


As I sit here, looking for words to flow out from me, Eliza’s words ring in my ears! “I need a little kindness; I know I am a common flower girl, an ignorant flower girl. I know you are a highly educated person, a great phonetician. I know there is a big difference between the likes of you and the likes of me! But, I am not the dirt under your feet!”

Those who have watched the movie would know why Eliza comes up with such words! Yeah, those words make me think too! Eliza comes to Higgins with the hope of becoming “more genteel”, and of course; Higgins was successful in making a lady out of a common flower girl. 

Prof.Higgins – an expert phonetician spends his days in and days out with the science of speech. Rather can I say, with the use of tongue, as Phonetics is all about the use of TONGUE? Yeah, he plays with the ‘Tongue’! Though he corrects and refines Eliza, he doesn’t bother to correct his tongue! He is simply fascinated by people who can talk good English, but doesn't bother about how gentle his words must be! 

Tongue -The softest organ in the body, it doesn’t have a bone either! The irony here is that from the softest organ in the body, the hardest, the unkindest and the most hurtful words flow out! Irony indeed! 

Back to the movie! If you have not watched it yet, here is the link - You are in for a great time with Eliza and Higgins, a perfect amalagamation of wit and sarcasm!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDVMqx9mVUc

2 comments:

  1. 'I am a good girl, I am' is my favorite dialogue said by Eliza... Here, Eliza being a simple flower girl doesn't know the gentleman ways but she is shown as a very emotional and sensitive girl who is determined to learn the proper English language ... On the other hand Prof Higgins belongs to the upper class and loves his work i.e phonitics, alphabets etc he considers her only as a part of his experiment and doesn't bother about her and is at times rude too... Though he is considered to be a gentleman, I dont think his actions or words prove it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have not seen this movie,..but i am little inspired to watch this movie soon....The power of the tongue is simply amazing..

    ReplyDelete