Saturday, September 22, 2012

A Wholesome Experience

Years back, when my maternal uncle chose to name his daughter “Aami”, I wondered what that meant. Later, I came to know that it was the pet name of the legendary, iconoclastic bilingual writer Madhavikutty alias Kamaladas! He is an ardent fan and hence the choice.

I too am a passionate reader! While I am into the world of English literature, and teach English, most would assume I enjoy only classics. There was a time in my life when I really desired to take up my main subject as Malayalam. But for various reasons, I had to leave behind the idea. Just like the many things that I have allowed to let go in life, I had to give up this passion too. But, my love for Malayalam Literature has never faded. 

Of late, I find myself glued to malayalm books, and one writer whom I would like to read and reread is Madhavikutty. I got acquainted with her books and poems while doing my PG. Later, I got to meet her when she came to UC, as a special guest for the English Day hosted by the English Department. Clad in a simple jet black saree, she just took the audience with her with elegance and speech. I still remember the way she spoke, just like an innocent kid. 

She was quite good with histrionics (or generally what we call as histrionics?????) A lot is being talked about  her works. Many people consider her a maniac, for she has written very openly about love and lust! But I feel, if you read her books in the real sense that you should, you can never look at her with those eyes. People who can’t really comprehend her are the ones who are hypocritical. She was an eternal lover, a feminist in the typical mould, and a very independent soul who was hungry for love. Her autobiography "Ente Katha - My Story" was almost a shock to most critics, and she was labelled a rebellious and unconventional writer! 

Loved the time with it!
Any time, would love to read again!
For me, she can be loved in all the ways, for her works have always made me believe I have at least some broken fragments from her! Most of her works are autobiographical, but the one which I took up to read now, “Neermathalam Pootha Kalam” is not just her story. I loved every single minute that I spent with her, for it gave me the feeling of listening to it, directly from her with all her passion. This was one book which I missed reading earlier, and so was very happy to find it on my ammavan’s bookshelf, this time when I visited him. No melodrama, and nothing extraordinary, just mundane life. It is just the plain diary of the young Aami. I confess, there were many points where I felt I was Aami. Neermathalam gave me a feel of journeying with Aami. 

If you are a Mallu , you owe this read to yourself. It is surely a wholesome experience! 

Well, my resolution of being more regular on the blog has really found some success. I love the time I spend here,  but now, I am not sure if I would be hibernating for a while. Exams are getting started next week and I would surely be thrown to my cozy seat with a bundle every other day! I just hate this period, for evaluation is really boring, still I have to do it with a great deal of concentration! 

Whatever be the case, I have to grow to love those sessions! Let me try looking forward to it.....

5 comments:

  1. Yet another wonderful read, Sunita! I can see the passion in you....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. U are so fast to respond! Superfast!

      Delete
  2. Miss, I thought I wud just complete reading the post which I did not finish reading but I ended up reading almost every recent post! All the posts are really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Savi3,

      Long time, no see, here! Good to see u back!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous3:48 PM

    nice tym reading it sunie!! ;)!!

    ReplyDelete