Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Mallu Sari Rocks!

Come October, I am gone!!!!! Revision Exams for Grade X and XII, Midterm Exams for the other grades and the Grand Finale with the English Exhibition! Ohhhh…. gonna be hectic right through….obviously a lot to complete – question papers, research for exhibition, organizing with the kids and lot more….yet I am sitting in the blog dome! Hey, ought to applaud me! 

Into the day’s post now……. 

Like a pendulum, I changed sides before coming up with this post! No doubt, it is pretty silly to write about saris here. I have never done it, I had never planned one too. Yet, it surprises me how I have gone in for a post on saris! Perhaps I should be proving that women are always the same, but NO! It isn’t a post on my love for saris………. 

You may ask, what is there to write so much about a sari? No, it is not just a sarI, it is the Mallu sari! Like Mallus, Mallu Sari also rocks and I experienced it. Yeah, it tells me that it is too difficult to hold yourself from falling in love with the Mallu sari! 

In the Indian context, sari is supposed to be the most appreciated, elegant and the most beautiful clothing a woman can wear. It gives a special look to the wearer. But at work, most of us don’t prefer it at all – the reasons are many, different to different people. Most teachers in our school have their own reasons to be happy about one thing out there. I bet you are wondering what it is! Yeah, our school doesn’t really have any strict rule on uniform or they don’t even stress on the teachers wearing sari. We go in about kurtis and salwars. I guess the introduction has turned out to a bit long! 

Okie, getting to the point here! 

I remember wearing the traditional Kerala set-mundu, for the Onam celebrations at school, the very first year I joined this school. I also remember ppl pulling my legs for wearing it, as it was all new to them. They had never seen a two-piece sari!!! , I was flooded with requests to buy a few of those by my colleagues who were fascinated by the Mallu sari. This is what I dredge up from the first year. 

But, what made me make this post was some ‘out-of-the-blue’ requests this year. 

Listen to this! 

This year too, I had worn it a coupla times to school and then started the pouring in of requests! Few of my colleagues came up first! 

One fine day, an aayah approached me, “Miss, neenge ennekku orookku poringe?” I wondered why she was enquiring it. Very shyly, she said, “ Mudinjal neenge varunbothu enakkoru kerala sari vangi varuveengala?” I agreed. That was done with there! 

A fortnight ago, when I was almost ready to pack my bags for Lekshmi’s marriage, I received orders for at least 6-7 saris. I assured to bring them all. I enjoy shopping, so it is a pleasure. 

That was also over! 

I guess, it is this last request that made me think of a post on sari. I was just astounded, when my autowalah asked me, “Madam, neenge ooruku poreinnu kelvi pettein, Veetkarrikku randu Kerala sari vangi varuveengala?? Neenge kettara mathiriye pothum!!” 

Was a there a smile on my face then? I nodded in affirmation! 

Hey Hey, Mallu Sari Rocks! Who would not get bowled over by its ethnic look!!!!!!! 

B/w, Excuse me for my wonderful Tamil, you all…… 

6 comments:

  1. oh mis.....dat gud....even i lukd it....but unfortunately.....i am not of the age of wearin sari n even if i wear am sure to fall over....otherwise i wld hav asked....n mis...did u really shop so many..??but yes i luvd dose 2pcs sari of urs...specially d pink and the green 1...

    ps:u tamil was gud...no probs at all... :P..!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I did dearie! Wud get them for u too! And my Tamil - I knw well!Lolz!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super - liked it. Wonderfully written too.....I really appreciate the way you take notice of every single thing around you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:20 PM

    sunie miss tamil aasiriyar vazhgha!! :P :P so many fans 4 mallu saris!! :O ;) hmm well got 3 saris altogether 4 the aayah nd the autowallah's wife (veetukaari):P :P!!

    ReplyDelete